The Virginia Festival of Flight and Fly-In’s primary objective is the promotion of aerospace education, in part through the understanding of careers, ownership, history, mechanical, legal, and recreational components. At the same time, we strive to provide the biggest fly-in opportunity in Virginia.
The festival and fly-in is organized by the Virginia Aviation Council, a non-profit corporation made up entirely with volunteers.
A brief history
• 1997 – first year of the Fly-In at Dinwiddie County Airport
• 2002 – attendance was 4000, 638 aircraft flew in
• 2003 – reduced participation due to Hurricane Isabel
• 2004 – canceled due to Hurricane Ivan
• 2008 – moved to Suffolk Executive Airport
• 2015 – event suspended in ordered to reorganize
• 2016 – planned in conjunction with the Suffolk Peanut Festival (but cancelled due to Hurricane Matthew)
• Saturday October 7, 2017
• Festival of Flight and Fly-In Grounds Open 8 AM – 5 PM. Peanut Festival Grounds Open 10:00 AM
• Admission covers access to both the Virginia Festival of Flight and Fly-In and the Suffolk Peanut Festival
• Recreational vehicles and travel trailers (no power or water available) are welcome in the Festival of Flight and Fly-In Camping area
• Airplane “under the wing” and tent camping is FREE in Festival of Flight and Fly-In designated areas.
• Admission for aircraft and passengers flying in is $10/aircraft.
• Pancake breakfast Saturday from 8 to 11 AM for $10/person
• Youth Tents with activities for our younger guests
• Free Young Eagles Flights Noon – 5 PM
• No pets will be admitted
• Skydivers all day
• Helicopters and aircraft rides
• Aircraft of all types, shapes, ages, and sizes
• Unmanned aircraft demonstrations throughout the day